A Message to our Stakeholders
Our 9,800 global employees and I are dedicated to the continued success of Valmont and creating long-term value for all stakeholders, and we pursue these commitments with a firm sense of purpose and integrity. We are also mindful of our broader responsibility toward our employees and the communities where we operate, live and work. Our tagline of Conserving Resources, Improving Life® is at the core of the products and services that we provide to support sustainable infrastructure development and the efficient use of water for agriculture. Our more than 80 Green Teams around the world continue to find innovative ways to minimize our environmental impact, with an unwavering commitment to caring for our employees, customers, communities and the planet.
Valmont is aware of the growing challenges that global climate change presents. Our approach to this problem is consistent with our values and sustainability commitment. We will continue to support the worlds need for food through the efficient use of water for agriculture. Our solar energy and infrastructure products and services will play an increasingly important role in the transition to a clean energy economy. Our Sustainability Initiative, launched in 2015, will continue to support the efficient use of energy and natural resources used in our manufacturing processes. As we move into this new decade we will assess the carbon intensity of our manufacturing footprint and develop additional programs and goals to mitigate this impact.
In 2019 we continued building upon our Sustainability Initiative, achieving several significant milestones:
- Established first global electricity goal to reduce our global electricity consumption by 8% over two years
- Completed 2018 assurance of disclosures for Scope 1 Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Awarded the Nebraska Recycling Council Member of the Year for our outstanding efforts to promote recycling in Nebraska
- Recognized our Jasper, Tennessee manufacturing facility with the 2019 Sustainability Award for dramatic improvements in key sustainability and employee engagement metrics
- Launched an electric vehicle program to replace more than 100 gas-powered vehicles at our largest manufacturing facility by 2021
- Finalized plans to install a one megawatt solar field at our Valley, Nebraska campus that will generate carbon-free power for on-campus usage utilizing our own TRJ tracker solution
We are committed to sharing more of our ESG focus across all three principles in 2020 and beyond.
Stephen G. Kaniewski
President and Chief Executive Officer
Valmont’s Sustainability Reports
Valmont Industries is committed to providing products and services that enhance the lives of our customers, employees, and communities, and to do so in an increasingly efficient and environmentally friendly manner.
As part of this commitment we will provide products and services that support sustainable infrastructure development and the efficient use of water for agriculture.
We will work to improve our use of raw materials, energy and water in the manufacture of our products and provision of our services, and we will strive to reduce the emissions, discharges and wastes that our operations generate.
Valmont 2020 GRI G4 Sustainability Report
Valmont Sustainability Report
Valmont Sustainability Whitepaper
Valmont’s Commitment to Environmental Excellence
Valmont Industries is committed to conserving resources and continuously improving our environmental performance and its impacts on our employees, customers and communities. To meet this challenge we will strive to use the natural resources we consume including raw materials, energy and water as efficiently as possible with a commitment to continuous improvement. We will work to fully quantify and reduce the emissions, discharges and wastes our operations generate and will comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
We have implemented an Environmental Responsibility and Sustainability Playbook with 6 primary areas of focus:
- Environmental Team Work
- Employee Training
- Impact Assessment
- Global Standards
- Environmental Management, Objectives and Targets
- Reporting and Metrics
Valmont’s Commitment to Health and Safety Excellence
Valmont Industries is committed to creating a culture where a healthy and safe workplace is recognized by everyone as essential to our success.
To support this vision we believe:
- An incident-free work environment is necessary and achievable
- Management is responsible for providing leadership, processes and resources to achieve zero incidents
- Active engagement of all employees in the processes to reduce exposure to hazards is essential
- Compliance with Valmont’s Health and Safety standards and local laws and regulations is our responsibility
We have implemented a Health and Safety Playbook with 6 primary areas of focus
- Management Commitment, Goals and Objectives
- Employee Involvement
- Worksite Analysis and Self-Assessment
- Global Standards for Hazard Prevention and Control
- Worksite and Employee Training
- Reporting, Metrics and Analysis